Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Each Day Is a Blank Piece of Paper

Do you ever have those days that you look at a blank page of paper and can see the endless possibilities presented by such a beautifully clean piece of paper?  I feel like that about notebook paper, I feel like that about canvas's, I am even starting to feel that way about computer screens with graphic design.  Now if only . . . I could think that way about each day!

 
no scribbles
 
I never really realized it before, but we have so much control over how our day goes and how we look at it.  So many times, I look at the day before me casting a shadow across the day from the previous day.  I let all the things that were weighing me down from the prior day mess up the day in which I'm living!  I'm not sure about you, but that seems like a bad idea to me.  Each morning is truly a blank piece of paper, why let it get scribbled on before we've even had a chance to live our story?
 
ink marks mid-page
 
Even more than just another day scribbling on the current day, my days become affected by things that go wrong, crazy, or just weird.  Like when crazy Italian driver that cuts me off on the road, when my coffee that doesn't turn out right (though that one is hard to get over . . . ), or when my son chooses that day to go bonkers, all these types things can make our outlook go from positive straight into the pits.  For me, I'm a quick drive to negative thinking.  However, why let everything get under my skin?  Why allow my entire day to be affected poorly by small annoying parts of my day?  It's as if the blank piece of paper is being written on with a great story then a bad part comes along and the whole rest of the story is just an awful read.  I don't want my story to be an awful read!
 
who thinks? you thinks
 
We are in control of what we think which controls our attitude and our emotions.  If I want to have a good day, then I keep thinking on the good parts.  Many times as a woman I think that I'm just at the mercy of my emotions.  It's so easy to just act like my anger just happens; my frustration is just a natural reaction from my circumstances; I'll explode if you push the wrong buttons.  Honestly, that's a bunch of bull.  How I act is directly related to how I think and I'm in charge of both.  A bad attitude doesn't just happen, we choose to have a rotten attitude.  Ouch, right?
 
back on track
 
Upon my realization that I choose my attitude and my thoughts, I began to think about how I can stop the cycle once the cycle has started for the day.  It's not like I wake up in the morning thinking, "Jee, I think I'll have a negative day today and treat my family badly and not get anything done."  Normally, I let one thing after another affect me until I'm a pile of rubble useful for . . . just about nothing.  I have two verses that I've found that make me think that God has a plan for this.
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will" (Romans 12:2 NIV 84).
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things" (Philippians 4:8 ESV).
What is the pattern of this world?  I mean look at the media.  We feed ourselves with news garbage like lust, murders, deception (politics), and fear.  God says to not conform to this pattern, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds.  His will is not having our mind embrace filth, bad attitudes, and thoughts, but to embrace what is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, and things worthy of praise.
 
So in the middle of a bad day with a bad attitude brought on by bad thoughts, what do we do?  Grab hold of God and take control of our thoughts for Him.  Think on all that is true, honorable, just, etc. and take our minds back to the throneroom of God!  Remember the verse, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength" (Mark 12:30 NIV 84).  Intentionally love God with all of your mind!  Take it back!  Embrace your blank piece of paper and allow God to write his story in your life today.  God bless!
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. GREAT outlook! I love the example of the clean crisp notebook paper. Hope you're having a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Somehow that example is the one that always connects with me, so I was hoping I wasn't the only one. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments and I hope you will visit again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...